Net Zero Carbon Pledge for the Events Industry | October 2021
Following best available science on the impacts of climate change, we acknowledge that there is an urgent need to accelerate the transition towards global net zero emissions, and for the events industry to play its part in helping to deliver the goals of the Paris Agreement and ensuring a just transition.
Recognising that the events industry is comprised of a complex and fragmented mix of stakeholders from across the globe, we acknowledge that while individual companies and organisations may take specific actions to minimise their carbon impact, to drive meaningful progress a system-wide approach is also needed.
In this context, my organization commits to support the goal of net zero greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 2050, in line with global efforts set out by the Paris Agreement to limit warming to 1.5°C and reduce total global GHG emissions by 50% by 2030, and to actively promote and advocate for industry efforts throughout the value chain.
In pursuit of this aim, my organization undertakes to:
1. Before the end of 2023, publish the organisation’s pathway to achieve net zero by 2050 at the latest, with an interim target in line with the Paris Agreement’s requirement to reduce global GHG emissions by 50% by 2030
- Identify and prioritise actions to reduce emissions [such as energy management, water conservation, materials management, food and beverage waste reduction, housekeeping initiatives, sustainable procurement, stakeholder management and employee engagement] and set goals accordingly
- Address residual emissions, once they’ve been minimized, through the purchase of credible carbon offsets with efforts to transition to those that represent carbon removal/capture
- Contribute resources, time and/or expertise to develop a collective low carbon roadmap for the events industry
2. Collaborate with partners, suppliers and customers to drive change across the value chain
- Publicly announce the signing of this pledge and actively promote and advocate for net zero across the industry
- Advocate for carbon reductions and perform due diligence as part of procurement processes
- Promote and participate in initiatives within and beyond the events industry to raise awareness of synergies, find solutions and design collaborative opportunities for reducing carbon emissions
3. Measure and track our Scope 1, 2 and 3 GHG emissions according to industry best practice
- Embed carbon measurement systems into operations
- Identify and share appropriate metrics and methodologies for measurement
- Contribute data to industry initiatives to enhance common methodologies and metrics
4. Report on our progress at least every two years
- Publish our key metrics and progress
- Share best practices and lessons learned
- Support collective industry-wide reporting and communications
Click here to become a supporter and sign the pledge
for further information refer to Frequently Asked Questions
Join Us Now
Work with us to develop the event industry’s Net Zero Roadmap.
Click HERE to become a supporter and sign the Pledge!